Final Press Release
The 19th General Assembly of IARU Region 2 in Viña del Mar, Chile ended on Friday, October 14, 2016. Participating in the Assembly were a total of 24 member societies, 13 of them present and the rest via proxy.
During the third plenary, the Presidents and Secretaries of the different Working Committees presented their proposals, which were analyzed and discussed by the delegates.
In administrative matters, the highlights are requests and recommendations for the Inter-American Telecommunications Commission (CITEL) issues related to the QSL Bureau and a recommendation for the use of Logbook of the World, request to member societies to send statistical information and requests for news to be sent to the News Coordinator.
The proposal of Radio Club Peruano for Lima, Peru to be the venue of the 20th General Assembly in 2019 was accepted unanimously.
Regarding band plans, the respective committee had the two following recommendations:
1) “To move towards an ongoing band planning process rather than the current every three-year update and contribute to bring band plans progressively into alignment on a global basis”.
2) “The B/C Committee recommends to Region 2 General Assembly that it should solicit support from other Regions to create a process for global band plan alignment”.
The Financial Committee analyzed the financial documentation and issued a favourable verdict regarding the approval of the financial statements and the approval of the budget for the next three years of operation.
In this plenary, the General Assembly carried out the election of Executive Committee members, and the following persons were elected for the next three years:
- President: Reinaldo Leandro, YV5AM
- Vice-President: Ramón Santoyo V., XE1KK
- Secretary: José Arturo Molina, YS1MS
- Treasurer: John "Jay" Bellows, K0QB
- Director Area A:George Gorsline, VE3YV
- Director Area B: John "Jay" Bellows, K0QB
- Director Area C: Ramón Santoyo V., XE1KK
- Director Area D: José Arturo Molina, YS1MS
- Director Area E: Noel E. Donawa, 9Y4X
- Director Area F: Gustavo de Faria Franco, PT2ADM
- Director Area G: Ernest Syriani, LU8AE
This Executive Committee will start its functions on November 15 of this year.
President Leandro encouraged member societies to participate more actively in the organization and thanked the coordinators and volunteers that cooperated so that the 19th General Assembly of IARU-R2 was successful.
The XIX International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Region 2 General Assembly was held in Viña del Mar in Chile from October 10 to 14, 2016. Vina del Mar 2016 addressed many aspects involving the promotion and defence of Amateur Radio band plans for HF, VHF and higher bands and other issues of importance to Member Societies in Region 2.
RAC has been well represented by President Glenn MacDonell, VE3XRA and George Gorsline, VE3YV, who is RAC's International Affairs Officer and also the IARU Region 2 Director for Area A.
The photos below show several of the delegates who have actively participated in meetings and in various Working Committees at the Conference including an EmComm workshop.