Temporarily Operating Canadian Amateur Stations in Other Countries

Pending updates, Radio Amateurs of Canada continues, under delegated authority from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (formerly Industry Canada), to issue CEPT and IARP permits to Canadian Amateurs wishing to operate while traveling abroad. Please refer to Section 8 of Radiocommunication Information Circular (RIC-3) for details on which permit, if any, applies or is required.

Section 8 of Radiocommunication Information Circular-RIC-3

For travel to countries other than the USA and its territories and which are not signatories to either the CEPT or IARP recommendations, Canadian Amateurs should contact the administration of the foreign country directly for authorization. Information and application can often be carried out by email or web form.

Temporarily Operating Amateur Stations in Canada

Foreign Amateurs who are licensed by other administrations participating in the CEPT or IARP program must apply for the appropriate permit in accordance with the provisions stipulated by their home administration.

Special Provisions for US and Canada

By treaty between Canada and the US, visiting Amateurs are not required to register or receive a permit before operating their amateur radio stations. Each Amateur station shall indicate at least once during each contact with another station its geographical location as nearly as possible by city and state or city and province. The Amateur station shall be operated in accordance with the laws and regulations of the country in which the station is temporarily located.

Canadian Amateurs operating in the US have the same privileges as they have in Canada, limited by US band edges and mode restrictions in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations(CFR), Title 47, Chapter I (FCC), Part 97, Amateur Radio Service.

US Amateurs operating in Canada must abide by the Radiocommunication Regulations and the Radiocommunication Information Circular 2, Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the Amateur Radio Service (RIC-2 Reclassified as RBR-4). US Amateurs may operate in accordance with the privileges accorded to holders of the Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic and Advanced Qualifications.

CEPT Application Options:

Mail: CEPT Application (download and print)

Online: See instructions below.

CEPT Permit Application

Apply for CEPT Permit
  • Instructions

    To apply for a CEPT permit, fill out the information on the form below, and submit along with a photocopy, electronic picture or pdf screen shot of your certificate. Payment can be made online below or mail a cheque for $20 to cover the cost of administration, postage and handling to:

    RAC members will receive a $10.00 discount.

    Radio Amateurs of Canada 720 Belfast Road, Suite 217 Ottawa, Ontario K1G 0Z5

    The content of this form will automatically be sent to the RAC. You have the option of mailing in your payment and documentation. Please allow ample time to process.

    Please Allow at least 2 to 3 weeks for processing and mailing

    NOTICE: due to recent changes in the CEPT T/R 61-01 agreement in 2016, CEPT Permits may now ONLY be issued to operators with Advanced qualification. Please see this link for further information.

  • Please input mailing address – Street, City, Province, Postal Code
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • Max. file size: 2 MB.
    Please attach electronic proof of IC certificate, (Basic or Advanced, and Morse code qualifications if applicable)
  • Please select fee type.

Do not pay for your CEPT permit online. The RAC head office will send you an invoice for the fee by email when your permit application is received.